How AI Extends Mesothelioma Life Expectancy After Diagnosis?
Mesothelioma life expectancy after diagnosis
Mesothelioma life expectancy after diagnosis is very short. Average life expectancy for patients with mesothelioma ranges from 12 to 21 months.
Nevertheless, mesothelioma is aggressive cancer caused by exposure to asbestos – fibrous material which can get stuck in the lungs. And it consists of 2 main types:
- “Malignant Mesothelioma” which is the most common type causing extreme illness and leading to death.
- “Benign Mesothelioma” which occurs rarely and doctors can implement treatment in straightforward and fruitful ways.
However, Malignant mesothelioma splits into three categories:
- “Pleural” which takes place in the linings of the lungs – most common type with 70-90% of the cases.
- “Peritoneal” which appears in the linings of the abdomen – about 10-30% of the cases.
- “Pericardial” which appears in the linings of the heart – rarest type with about 1% of the cases.
But the hard truth is that mesothelioma is undetectable in its early stages. And doctors may easily mistake early mesothelioma symptoms with those of less danger since they share the same symptoms such as short breath and difficulty to swallow.
Extending Mesothelioma Life Expectancy After Diagnosis
However, Artificial Intelligence (AI) is making a significant leap in medical diagnosis by collecting massive amounts of data related to medical imaging such as MRIs, CT scans, X-rays, and others.
Nevertheless, the treatment of cancer follows the below process:
- Identifying symptoms
- Taking tests to perform diagnosis
- Staging extent of the cancer
- Suggesting treatment
Enlitic, a software startup, is using vast amounts of information to feed its AI system with data from scans and images. And this will make their system capable of receiving, analyzing, and processing data. Therefore, stating the correct diagnosis of a patient before it becomes too late for treatment.
However, another project by IBM, Watson, is trained to analyze case histories patient’s medical situation with records, research, and genetic data to come out with the best options for diagnosis and treatment.
With advancing technology and AI systems, it will become easy to detect mesothelioma early and start with the most significant treatment that best suits a patient to live without pain and thus increase mesothelioma life expectancy after diagnosis.
Subscribe to “Science and Tech Articles” for every new update!